Tuesday, January 8, 2013

One year ago.......



"Marie Antoinette", 18" x 24", watercolor and oils, 2012
Collection of the Eden Rock Hotel, FWI
     Right around this time last year I was preparing for an artist in residence position I was fortunate to have been selected for. The residency was in the French West Indies at a VERY upscale resort that featured an art gallery. I was there to paint and give art lessons to the rich and famous. After a cold New York winter, I was ready to frolic in some warm ocean water, lie on hot sands, and to sip on some  lovely chilled french rose!
     Due to the expense of shipping art supplies, I brought only watercolor and limited oil painting supplies. I chose watercolors because I hadn't really used them before and they were easy to transport. I didn't know how to watercolor and I would say I still don't; most of the time I apply the paint and see what happens. It's a process of unveiling, uncovering, surprising myself. You can't always control watercolor and I think that is what makes it most attractive because you have no choice but to surrender your expectations of the outcome. This is a real gift. Beautiful things can happen when you let go of outcome.






"Blue Eyed Girl", 10" x 13", 2012
Back by popular demand! This piece is going up on ebay for auction again tomorrow! I have had many inquiries about it so I've decided to relist it. Thanks for all the love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment