Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Multi Media Madness


"Blur" 6"x8"
watercolor and oils 2012
                                                                   click here to bid!

This piece originally was a watercolor that didn't make the cut. Sometimes I just feel the work gets too literal, too easy, or too overworked. Watercolor is difficult because you can't really control it and you only have one real shot to make it work. I'm sure that many watercolor artists would disagree with me there but I feel like my best work is the stuff that comes out in one go and maintains a freshness. My favorite work to look at is work that looks effortless - but you know that it took years to achieve the effortlessness, the facility.
All this being said, sometimes I try to save a failed piece by adding a second media to it: the result can be seen above. I sealed the original watercolor and added oils over the top.
I love working in different media. I paint in watercolor (obviously). I paint in oils. I sculpt with fabric. I sculpt in wood. I sculpt with hair. I sculpt with wax.
Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a way to marry some of these media into one piece. Here's the result below: watercolor, hair, resin. Today I'm going to paint with oils on the resin and see what happens. Then I will probably add another layer of resin.


No comments:

Post a Comment