Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fun with Paper Cut Outs!

     I have been doing a lot of research lately on children's books which involves going to the bookstore  and sitting in the kids' section and pouring over picture books. This is always a little strange because I don't have any children (just a surly small dog). No, I haven't been arrested yet.
     Anyway, my favorite illustrator right now is a guy named John Klassen. He is both illustrator and author of  I Want My Hat Back. I think this book was the winner of the Caldecott Medal. His pictures  are simple, fun, quirky, and effective watercolors.  Here's one from the aforementioned story:


and one from another story:

So this second one got me really excited -  I love those very simple shapes that make up the mountains. When I'm painting I often end up with a ton of watercolors that simply don't turn out for one reason or another. Watercolor is difficult because you really only get one go at it - you can't erase. So I took a page out of Mr. Klassen's book (very punny!) and cut up all my pictures that didn't work and this is what I came up with:
Rocks with Dandelion Fluffy Things
Booy with Dandelions
Rock Cairn

Large Landscape with rocks and Dandelions



No comments:

Post a Comment