Saturday, March 9, 2013

Children With Tails

     Hello friends! I have two stories I am working on illustrations for right now: "The Little Match Girl" and another poem by my very talented friend, Amanda Kraft, entitled, "Children With Tails". Amanda is the same friend who wrote, "Wolf Party" -see previous posts for illustrations of the wily wolves! Also, I am working on having an ebook made for "Wolf Party". It will be available on iBooks, Kobo, and the Barnes and Noble Nook! I'll keep y'all posted.
     This new poem is about little devils masquerading as children - the only way you know they are devils is when they forget to cover their tails. Here are a couple of pictures of my progress.


          "Children with tails live all around,
            in almost all towns a few will be found.
            At first glance you feel as though nothing is wrong,
            as they are clever with words and haunting with song."
Is the tail obvious enough? 
In this detail of the portraits you can see I added to the schoolmarm's dress.

Some people have mentioned that the work is kind of dark, sad (the little match girl), or too grown  up (wolves drinking ale) but I grew up in the '80's with Garbage Pail Kids, Mad Magazine, Edward Gorey, and the funky poems of Shel Silverstein! I'm hoping the work appeals to more than just little children - I want big kids (a.k.a. adults) to want to read it too. So there!




No comments:

Post a Comment