Thursday, April 11, 2013

"Night Garden"
22"x28"
 watercolor, magazine, and acrylic collage
     The theme of "Death and the Maiden" is one of my favorites. The maiden is usually pictured embracing or sitting by a skeleton (Death) and often she is gazing into a mirror symbolizing vanity.
     I've painted this theme before - not necessarily to be spooky but as a reminder to myself not to take life for granted. So I guess the point is, to me, that while we are caught up in all the 'small stuff' of life - status, beauty, disagreements, etc., - our mortality is always with us. Not one of us lives forever. This helps me keep my attitude in perspective about what is really important when I'm sad, depressed, worried, etc.
Here is a great link to art works about this theme created by various artists over the centuries: http://www.lamortdanslart.com/fille/maiden.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment